Abaxa technicians are fully accredited to identify, locate and protect underground services in readying your site for construction.
This includes searching for known or potential Services (utilities) which may lie beneath the surface of a designated excavation area.
Abaxa technicians closely follow subsurface Utility Engineering industry regulations, along with relevant Australian Standards.
Our sub surface detection accreditation and training cover all underground assets including Telstra, Power, Communications, Water, Sewer, Gas, and Rail.
Accreditations and Affiliations
- Dial Before You Dig Accreditation: Contractors undergo theory and practical testing and assessment to ensure they have the necessary skills to accurately locate and avoid costly damage to subsurface assets.
- RIICCM202A: Identify, Locate & Protect Underground Services: Australian State & Territory Governments joint initiative, which verifies contractor competency. The initiative’s Statement of Attainment is recognised nationally.
- Australian Standard 5488.1-2019: Provides a framework for the classification of subsurface utility location and attributes information in terms of specified quality levels for the management of subsurface utilities.
- WHS Legislation: Legislation differs between states & territories. For reference see the WHS regulations which align with the Safe Work Australia Code of Practice.
Our services can be applied to any project stage from feasibility, early planning, and final design to active construction, continuing right through to High Pressure Gas Pipeline Supervision and Permit Issue for ATCO Gas and the Australian Pipeline Trust. Abaxa are the proud preferred locators for a number of our vital utility companies including
- Vocus Communications Optical Fibre,
- Telstra Network,
- OPTUS Network,
- Nextgen Network
- ATCO Gas – Accredited HP Locators
- Australian Pipeline Trust (APA) Permit Issue Officers
- Western Power Network – Network Access and Sub Station Level 2
- Water Corporation – Water / Sewer/ Drain
- Brookfield Rail
- PTA Rail
The process of locating services on your project site necessitates a variety of expertise to minimise the risk of strikes.
The accreditation of Abaxa technicians in practical terms means:
- A solid working knowledge of the Dial Before You Dig (DBYD) system
- Knowledge of various methods for locating underground services
- Proficiency in the use of applicable locating equipment
- Knowledge of work methods within close range of an underground service
- Understanding how to best manage and mitigate risk
- Knowledge of what action to take when an underground service is damaged
- Familiarity with action to take if any personnel are injured because of damage to a service
- Compliance with the highest standard of safety on-site related to asset locating.